Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade your PS4 hard drive

How To Choose The Best Hard Drive Upgrade For Your PS4

Swapping in a new hard drive into the PS4 is relatively easy-the question is, what sort of hard drive should you swap in? You've got SSDs, which are speedy-but also expensive. And then you have hybrid drives to consider, too.

This video by Tested runs speed tests between all three drives, from boot up times to game loading and more. It also breaks down what the pros and cons of the different drives are-an SSD might not be the best choice for you, even if it's faster in some cases.

What type of hard drive will you go with?
    Source: How To Choose The Best Hard Drive Upgrade For Your PS4

How To Install A Hard Drive in a PS4

The PlayStation 4 comes with a 500GB hard drive, and let's be real-that's not gonna be enough space for some of you. The good news is that you can upgrade it.

Check out this video by gamespot, which walks you through what you need to do to swap in a new hard drive into your PS4. Thankfully, it's nothing too complicated. And assuming you're okay with the space the original hard drive affords you, installing a different hard drive might still be of interest: a SSD can allow you to load games a little faster. So, it's definitely worth considering.

If you're debating whether or not you should get a PS4 in the first place, make sure to read our review here.
    Source: Here's How To Install a Hard Drive in a PS4

Comment

Oh and don't bother with an SSD, hybrid maybe but something around or above 1tb at least
      RULES: ixtreme.net
      TUTORIAL: How to burn XGD3 using iHas with Burnermax & Imgburn and verify using KProbe
      FOR SALE: Xbox 360 Consoles, parts and services UK

In case of spelling error, blame teh iPad

Comment

I just picked up a WD 1TB 7200rpm drive. Should be coming in tomorrrow. I hear bad reviews on the Seagate SSHD drives, so I swayed away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by kid poker View Post
          I just picked up a WD 1TB 7200rpm drive. Should be coming in tomorrrow. I hear bad reviews on the Seagate SSHD drives, so I swayed away from it.
          I always buy WD myself. Although I do have a samsung 128GB SSD for my OS.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoss View Post
            I always buy WD myself. Although I do have a samsung 128GB SSD for my OS.
            Same here as well. For external, I have a Seagate 500GB USB3.0 drive, and it's pretty good running Windows 2 Go. I've never used Samsung, but I do have a Mushkin mSATA drive for my main OS in my desktop.

Comment

Seagate has never failed me. I have two externals, one Usb3 1TB and one Usb2 2TB. Also have a 2TB internal and a 240GB ssd, all Seagate. Have one im my R-Jtag too.

Is a SSHD worth it? And has anyone actually tried putting another in and compared?
              No Koetjuh, i will not press the thanks button

2000 posts

Comment

Upgrade your PS4 hard drive

It's all compared in the video. The hybrid drive is recommended as it's not much more than the standard hdd, slow to boot at first but with things accessed regularly it caches and is quicker in accessing them overall.
                Last edited by BigBoss; 11-20-2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Somehow I find it sad that the ps4 has been out for like a week and we're already trying to upgrade storage space.

The new consoles should have been 1tb 7200 rpm minimum in my opinion. Xbox included

In the case of a spelling error, I blame Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by joesinger47 View Post
                    Somehow I find it sad that the ps4 has been out for like a week and we're already trying to upgrade storage space.

The new consoles should have been 1tb 7200 rpm minimum in my opinion. Xbox included

Why would they make it that easy? No one wants to buy a console that doesn't need any improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by joesinger47 View Post

That's because they force you to install all games including disc based games into the hard drive.

Originally posted by BigBoss View Post
                      Why would they make it that easy? No one wants to buy a console that doesn't need any improvements.
                      That is absolutely true with any gaming device.

Also you need to download the FULL firmware, which is ~800mb, not the ~300mb update file for it to work. Otherwise you will get an error code. Took me a few min and googling to figure that one out.

Comment

Working...
                      X