This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSv3 and AP2.5

There is currently some panic going on over rumors of SSv3 and AP2.5.

Since the release of the Xbox 360, Microsoft has used a version of their game disc called Xbox Game Disc 2.0. This is why when you rip a disc, the filename is called something like XGD2DVD. Part of the Xbox Game Disc 2 spec includes a set of anti piracy protections called Anti Piracy 2.0, or AP2.0.

To combat the checks and measures included in Anti Piracy 2.0, the Xbox scene has developed a set of countermeasures such as the security sectors, or SS. The scene's countermeasures also have a set of specs of their own. Currently there are two specs in wide usage, version 1 and version 2. It is currently recommended that all backups have the version 2 spec of security sectors, or SSv2.

Recently, rumors have broken out about a recent leaked version of the Xbox 360 dashboard. (As of 10/28/2010 it has not been pushed to members of the official beta program). With this new leaked version, certain backups of new games such as Fable 3 and The Sims 3 do not work. So far, the community has only been able to gather that with this newest version of the dashboard, Microsoft is employing AP2.5.

AP2.5 is an updated spec of the original Anti Piracy 2.0. All drives ever made, from Hitachi onwards support AP2.5, but it has never been activated. To get into some technical moon language, "AP2.5 involves host supplied LBA checks, encrypted with AES, LBA's are submitted by the host (360)"

Transcript from c4eva:

<+c4eva> AP25 threat is real, but only MS knows if it will ever be enabled, since it has been in drive fw since hitachi!
    <+c4eva> action against ap25 will be taken when it is used, until then we can only monitor!
    <+c4eva> ap25 involves host supplied LBA checks, encrypted with AES, LBA's are submitted by the host (360)!
    <+c4eva> not all drives support it, and they will have to make sure all drives that do support give back reliable results! not as easy as it sounds!
    <rift> c4eva so just to make sure i got this correct, you said the 360 makes the AES'd lba request correct? not the drive?
    <+c4eva> rift: transmitted to drive to do the checks!
    <+c4eva> fifa is fine
    The developers in the scene (i.e. c4eva, Team Jungle, etc.) have been aware of AP2.5 for some time now, at least one and a half years. They've been working on a new spec for security sectors, SSv3. SS v3 patches haven't been put into use yet because in the five years the since 360 has been out AP2.5 hasn't been used once.

From an April 2009 Team HyperX released with their 0800 firmware:

SS v2 suports multiple timing samples for challenges type 5 and 7 , stroing them in the SS. This is a pre-requiste for SS v3 which has support for the so called AP2.5 check. Since this has never been used or may never be used by MS we will adopt a wait and see approach and continue to monitor for its usage.
    This reason is because AP2.5 is likely one of Microsoft's last trump cards when it comes to detecting modified firmware and preventing the usage of backups, and if c4eva did indeed do a good job with the iXtreme LT firmware they may now be forced to play their hand.

More details and information is sure to follow in the days to come with the upcoming dash. If AP2.5 is employed, there is decent hope that the scene will already have countermeasures prepared to allow for these new AP2.5 backups to be played on modified systems. From the sounds of it only new titles such as Fable 3 and The Sims 3 (and future releases) will require SS v3 patches, as prior games with SSv2 / SSv1 (not recommended) will still work on the recently leaked firmware.

Don't panic!
    Rules To Follow

ABGX Settings

CG Pro Gaming Tournaments

I will no longer help via PM's sorry

Re: SSv3 and AP2.5

oh now i understand
    its good to have someone that can speak "english". lol.

Comment

So will samsung drives ever be activated??
      http://youtube.com/NextGenGamings

Comment

sims 3 is ssv3? then why does it work, I don't get the disc error with sims 3, just fable 3

I know I got myself flagged on accident already, I've taken the box offline untill I can obtain a replacement to migrate to.

edit: I have a liteon drive, for the record, I'm not a lucky sammy user
        Piracy is like masturbation, whether you do it or not, we don't want to hear about it.

I swear everybody gets told thanks at least 20 times for each time someone actually hits the thanks button.

if you're looking for tutorial links, look in the other guys signature.

Where to find the crap we're talking about

Comment

Does this mean Ssv2 games will be unsafe when games are SSv3?

Comment

okay so the SSv3 will contain our values to mimic the original disc and check values, once we have support for it with LT+.

if this is true any new check implemented down the line (unknown to us now) would force us to reburn the game to combat the new checks (if the said game supported more AP2.5 check data with a new system update)

Comment

Can this work with Samsung Drives? because Brotherhood wont work at all.

Comment

My samsung Ms28 cannot play AC brothood too. But Black opt work fine

Comment

Originally posted by Slick
                  There is currently some panic going on over rumors of SSv3 and AP2.5.

Hello, I'm the writer of the original article on 360pedia.org. 360pedia was created with the goal of clearing up a lot of the misinformation about 360 hacking that is prevalent in the community. I'm glad you guys found the article helpful, but please credit us and link to the source in the future. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Downfall360
                    sims 3 is ssv3? then why does it work, I don't get the disc error with sims 3, just fable 3
                    Sims 3 is not SSv3, it sounded like it was while I was writing the article

Originally posted by PuNkDrOpOUT
                    Does this mean Ssv2 games will be unsafe when games are SSv3?
                    Only new AP2.5 titles will require SSv3.

It's possible that through an update they could add AP2.5 support to already released games. It's best to just stay current with the community in case this ever happens. If you ever burn a new backup and a SSv3 rip is available for it, it's best that you use it in case AP2.5 support is patched retroactively.

Originally posted by wingnutlord
                    if this is true any new check implemented down the line (unknown to us now) would force us to reburn the game to combat the new checks (if the said game supported more AP2.5 check data with a new system update)
                    Yes, a reburn would be required. As soon as that game was AP2.5 enabled, putting the SSv2 rip in your 360 would result in instant flagging.

Originally posted by longkheang
                    My samsung Ms28 cannot play AC brothood too. But Black opt work fine
                    Black Ops is not AP2.5.

Comment

is fable 3 and sims 3 ap2.5? i can play fable 3 and sims 3 well in my new dash. i hav samsung drive. i dont knw if it is ms 28 or ms25. will it play in mine?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnHnQunX ... r_embedded

Comment

hav u tried it?

Comment

slick. wat is the video abt? i dont want to screw things. reply me wen possible.

Comment

havent tried, picking some discs up after i finish work. got it off another forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X